If you didn’t already know, this week (23rd-29th March) is meat free week. If you eat meat a lot and you’re wondering what this is all about then it might interest you to read the many benefits of cutting down your meat consumption.
I cut down on eating meat a lot a few months ago when I saw an article which exposed a few things about meat production that most people are unaware of from the impacts the volume of it has on the environment, to the treatment of the animals and what too much processed meat does to our health. I then did a bit more research, and found some things which shocked me. One of the things that really made me vom was that a lot of the chickens we get from supermarkets are injected with FAT and water to make them grow more quickly to create a higher volume of cheap ‘product’ to be sold. This means they grow sooo fast their legs are unable to support them so they collapse and die at six weeks old. By the time they’re on our shelves they have been so modified that it’s not the most ethical or appetising way to eat.
There is absolutely nothing unhealthy about this pie and it tastes so good! You know when you want something yummy and warming but you’re trying to be healthy? Well this is the perfect dish for those times!
– Half a large sweet potato, grated.
– 2 medium carrots, grated.
– 1 large courgette, grated.
– 1 large onion, diced.
– 180g of pre cooked quinoa.
– 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
– 4 eggs, whisked.
– 1tsp coconut oil.
1. Start by pre heating the oven to 180oc.
2. Dice the onion and fry it in a pan using the coconut oil until golden brown.
3. Grate the carrots, sweet potato and courgette and add to a bowl.
4. Whisk the eggs and slice the garlic then add everything to the bowl including the quinoa and mix together with your hands (make sure they’re clean obv!)
5. Grease a medium to large baking dish, lay the mixture in the dish and flatten down with the back of a spoon.
6. Bake for 35mins then garnish with a bit of something green to make it look pretty. (I used kale)
After baking… Voila!!!
Let me know if you try the recipe and what you think of it in the comments below! Enjoy! X